Monday 2 October 2017

Bible Journaling Apps - by Jane Butcher

I have three Bible Journaling Apps but they're  not what you think! I'm not going to give you a list of web sites, urls (whatever they are) pinterest posts or apps for your tablets, smart phones, laptops or trusty old desk tops.

I have three Journaling Bibles on the go at the moment (well, four actually but that's another story) I use each one for a different purpose in terms of my approach to spending time n the Word.


Number one, my first one and the one which has been used the most and is somewhat straining at its seams. This is the Bible I use the most, on most days at some point. its more of a dip in, choose selected verses, look for words of encouragement type of relationship, though I have actually journaled my way through complete books using devotionals and study guides on occasion. I began this Bible in January 2015 with the sole intention of giving this to Ben. There are some words of encouragement, some of guidance, some of warning and lots of pictures, doodles and thoughts which will hopefully remind him of me.


Bible number two, and I love this one! The leather, is so  beautiful as are the pristine pages. I am over time working through this Bible from start to finish (I may be gone some time to quote a certain Titus Oates!) I am writing an outline of the key points of each chapter  using a variety of commentaries and study guides. I don't do this every day, but this one is earmarked for my second nephew Samuel. he respects my faith but no longer believes. I trust that he will take time to look through it from time to time and give some thought to the guidance within. He calls me his God mother even though my nephews and niece don't actually have God parents as they were all dedicated not baptised as children.

Bible number three, I've only just started this one and I'm using it to follow inductive Bible study guides which are a much more in depth focussed way of reading and studying the Bible.  

All of these approaches (apps!) to Bible Journaling bring me deeper in to God's Word. each one fills a need and a desire to know more. No one way is better than another, I spend more time in the first Bible and that approach to journaling because it is more fun! and doesn't demand quite as much focus and deep thinking (for me) The others I try to do at least a couple of times a week  but I don't always manage that.



Sometimes I just sits...and colours! other times I do what I'll call journaling art for want of a better description, or I do something creative in my prayer journal that is meaningful at that time.
Finally, I doodle (or journal) my thoughts on a Sunday morning because I'm a multi-sensory learner, I don't take things in very deeply through just reading, writing or hearing.

l hope this encourages any one  who feels they are struggling to find their niche or their style, or even how to start with Bible Journaling. There is no right or wrong way, there is no better or lesser way, there is no requirement to be an artist or a theologian, there is simply the need for a desire to spend time in the presence of Father God, delving deeper in to His Word and along the way sharing thoughts and encouragement with our brothers and sisters.     

Explore all the apps, upload the ones that appeal to you, install and away you go!

1 comment:

  1. This is such an encouragement Jane, thankyou for sharing your apps with us 💜

    ReplyDelete