Monday 2 October 2017

the "J" word! - by Jane Butcher


I've been enjoying a little trip down memory lane, looking back through my journaling Bible from the day I brought it home from the local Christian Bookshop. There's no avoiding it, I know it's a cliche but its been a journey! 

I didn't delay, I didn't test things out on pages at the back, I just dived right in and began at the beginning, (hmm, anyone else humming a song now?) I did what some people call their permission page and then I did Genesis Chapter 1. I didn't use any "techniques" I didn't have any wonderfully named supplies I simply drew in pencil, went over it with a micron marker, rubbed out the pencil and then coloured it in with ordinary pencil crayons. "Simples"!

I began to experiment with different lettering styles and I have to confess I began to build my stash. I knew I was never going to be an "artist" in the pure sense but I was determined that I wasn't going to be deterred by my lack of skills, I was going to fall in love with my Bible again, a love affair that had somewhat faded since my first heady days as a Christian. I decided that I was going to share my journaling pages even though they were (and still) are usually simple and often simplistic.

I discovered the joys of washi tape, tip ins and one of my favourites Vellum (tracing paper to you and me).and I discovered a joyous family of brothers and sisters from all around the UK who shared my love of the Bible. I enjoyed taking tippy toe fairy steps out of my comfort zone thanks to lovely friends like Sarah Anderson, Jo Boardman and Deborah Gregg. (The list of people I am now blessed to call my friends would now need a blog all of its own)

More recently I have been an enthusiastic convert to the fun which is deli paper and the gelli plate. I have been blessed to meet many of my Facebook friends in the flesh! meeting up monthly  with DEN, meeting up with friends at our homes and with people travelling to join us from as a far afield as Milton Keynes, Birmingham, Ashby de la Zouche (love that name) Huddersfield, Chester, Manchester, Stockport and from all around my home in Winsford.


I've loved dabbling with collage and I've even painted in my Bible. Its been a journey and its a journey I'm happy to continue. Bible Journaling has brought me back to my Bible, It has brought me back to spending precious time in the Father's presence, its brought me friends and family, its brought me a network and a circle of encouragement and its brought me a wealth of experience, wisdom and encouragement.

f you are new to this crazy band of Bible Journalers, welcome; saddle up and enjoy the journey, I can guarantee it will be joyous, it will challenge, it will bless, it will encourage and it will bring you closer to the Father day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment